Feb 16, 2012

Posted by in Featured | 14 Comments

Virtual Tour of My Submarine

Okay, here it is! Some of you who read my book but have never been on a submarine said it would help if I had a diagram of the boat in my book. Well I figured I would take it a step further and create a 3D sub that I could give you a tour in. This is the first video, where I give you the general layout. I have a few more coming where I will take you in more depth level by level, but this should be enough to give you a basic understanding. I hope you like it! As always I appreciate any feedback you have for me, and if you get a chance I would love for you to give me a review of my book on Amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com.

1. Richard Caylor says:

Enjoyed the book. Looking forward to the next one

• T.S.S. says:

Thank you, Richard. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it. I’m working hard to get you that next one out soon!

2. Stan Bixler says:

I thoroughly enjoyed your book. It pulls you along as you venture through the submarine. I enjoy books of this nature as I am a retired CMSgt (E-9), USAF with one year in Vietnam. The only note that I would add is with 20 plus years in the military, most around senior officers, I have a hard time believing the number of officers going rogue. I look forward to reading your next book. I wish you the greatest success.

CMSgt Bixler, USAF Retired.

• T.S.S. says:

****mild spoilers**** If you haven’t finished the book, you may want to come back to this comment. – TSS

I’m glad you enjoyed the book, CMSgt Bixler. My uncle, who is also a retired CMSgt, shared some of your same concerns. But I would say, when you look at it, there were very few conspirators in the story who are actually involved. I felt some in the crew would go along without question, based on Dr. Stanley Milgram’s experiments in the 60′s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment) where individuals continue with behavior they may find questionable because an authority figure insists that they do. For others, I used deflection, where they were wrapped up in the problems of their own department, and they were simply too exhausted to worry about events outside of their own responsibilities. But above all, I was creating a story where the enlisted guys are the heroes, which we don’t see very often in the fiction realm. This could not be done if the officers in the story were as exemplary as most of the officers I served under. However, every now and then you do have a bad apple. It is a black eye on the submarine service, but John Anthony Walker Jr. was not only a submarine officer, but also the most damaging spy to the United States during the Cold War. He and his fellow conspirator, Senior Chief Petty Officer(E-8) Jerry Whitworth sold out the US to the Soviets over the course of 17 years.

Again, I am very happy you enjoyed Hot Run, and I thank you for giving it a chance. In the next one, Quinn finds himself fighting military politics, but he has found a steadfast ally in Admiral Victor Perry.

~ T. Steven Sullivan

• Politics in today’s Navy? Tell me it isn’t true.
        I know a lot of people, especially sub sailors, who would like to have a few minutes with Walker and friends in the Boatswain’s Locker.

3. James (Jim) Doak says:

Seems like you draw retired USAF CMSgts as I’m one also, albeit in the Alabama Air National Guard. Loved the book as I’ve always been fascinated by subs and sub stories. I felt the tale moved well and was tightly written by a subject matter expert. Well Done! If it had been any more stilted with officer/enlisted relationships, it would not have been as believable. I think sub crews are much like Air Guardsmen in that there is much more familiarity and officer/enlisted interaction due to the closeness found in a sub and in a Guard unit. Too, nuke boat drivers going rogue is a bit of a stretch given the grueling selection processes they face. Again, had they not, no story. If this was your first effort, GREAT JOB!!! I look forward to Mr. Quinn’s next outing. Jim

• T.S.S. says:

Hey Jim, I definitely appreciate all the CMSgts(s) supporting my book, and I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it. I’m excited about getting this next one out there. Just hoping my sophomore attempt raises the bar. I appreciate you dropping me a line and letting me know what you thought of Hot Run. I also salute your service. That has been one of the greatest benefits of writing, I get to connect with so many brothers-in-arms. keep in touch.

~ Tim (T. Steven Sullivan)

4. Tim Hinson says:

Great book! Couldn’t put it down!

Can’t wait for the next one!

Thanks!

• T.S.S. says:

Thanks Tim! I’m getting closer on the next one. Ill have some announcements coming up next week about upcoming projects, so stay tuned!

~ Tim (T. Steven Sullivan)

5. Fredric Rosenthal says:

I don’t find it at all implausible that some thinking seamen, soldiers or marines would question officers patriotism in light of the crap coming out of Washington. With a president who apologizes to countries who want to destroy the US, who cancels the Christian Day of Prayer and substitues the muslim day of pray and a Congress who goes along with him blithely whose only interest is in getting re-elected, would it be so surprising that the men who protect this nation from foreign invasion could smell a rat and do something about it? I don’t think so. We need more men like Quinn with cojones to do the right thing.

6. Bob Beckham says:

I don’t usually read fiction, but thoroughly enjoyed “Hot Run”. I vividly recall when I first read “Wake of the Wahoo” in the 1960s when 12, my first submarine book, I was hooked on submarine stories from that day on. A believable story, a good imagination. Excellent character development.

Addressing the rogue officers . . . I recall in the 1970s, I was with 3rd Tank Bn. on Okinawa, and the worst officer I ever knew was the Motor Transport officer Captain, and a Mustanger. This idiot was about as rogue as they come. If it had been earlier in my eight year Marine career in Vietnam, he would have been fragged!

Great first book. It will be interesting to follow Quinns’ career.

7. I very much enjoyed reading this book. I read it in two days which, outside of a Tom Clancey book, is a record for me. Lately I’ve also been reading Stephen Hunter’s series staring Bob Lee Swagger. In all of these books, yours included, the hero is bigger than life. I think that is why we read this type of fiction, looking for that bigger than life hero.

I spent many years on what you considered a target; I am an old Tin Can sailor and a retired Senior Chief Sonar Technician (Surface Warfare) with some past experience on older boats (Tench Class Fleet Snorkel). Although I’ve never been on a Los Angeles class Fast Attack sub I was able to follow most of the action through the boat with little or no confusion. This is probably as a result of 22+ years poking holes in the ocean and my many “Bubblehead” friends. However, I can see where someone with no Navy or submarine experience may be a little lost trying to follow the characters as they made their way around the Key West.

Keep up the good work, this was an excellent first book. Looking forward to the next.

8. Bill Chadwick says:

Wish I had known about this website and the video on the sub before reading your book. A really neat idea and fun to view. Just so you know all your readers are not retired Air Force, I retired from the Navy Reserve as a BM1, although my 7 years active were spent chasing subs as an AX2 in a LAMPS helo squadron off a fast frigate. Really enjoyed your book and anxiously await the next one but hoping you keep Quinn enlisted because like you said, finding stories with an enlisted hero rather than an officer is not easy. It’s what drew me to read a “bubblehead” book to start with as I usually stick with my “Airdale” and surface Navy books. I took your advice and left you a review on Amazon. Bravo Zulu shipmate on your writing career. Keep up the good work!

• T.S.S. says:

Thanks Bill, I’m glad you enjoyed the book! I’m working on the next in the series but I’m also in the middle Firefighter school right now, so its going a little slow. But I will have it finished up soon!

BTW thanks for the review on amazon.com, those help spread the word!

~ Tim (T. Steven Sullivan)