Sep 6, 2011

Posted by in Uncategorized | 12 Comments

August was great, but I’m no Hasselhoff!

First, I would like to say Thank You!

A big thank you goes out to all those who found my book on kindle and decided to give it a chance. August was my best month to date. I sold over 500 copies of HOT RUN on the kindle and with the way September is starting out, I should go well beyond that this month! At the time I am writing this, HOT RUN is listed as #10 on Amazon’s top 100 list for the Kindle War/Fiction category. This has been amazing! It has inspired me to think my dream of being a full-time author may be inching closer. However, I’ve got a lot more writing to do if I’m going to make it happen. Yet, with this little taste of success, there are many things I have learned. First…

I am no David Hasselhoff

Everybody knows, Germans love David Hasselhoff, but I have yet to sell a copy of HOT RUN on Amazon Germany. I have sold the majority of my copies on Amazon US, and about 15% of my sales have come from Amazon UK. Zero from Germany. This does not come as a surprise to me though, because I have done zero marketing targeted to a German audience. Also, there are no references to Germany in my book. So, while my hair may look a little like David Hasselhoff’s right now(I need a haircut), I have none of his magic German love. There are many countries in this world, most in fact, which have had no one buy my book, but Amazon keeps pointing this lack of German sales out to me in their sales reports. It makes me picture the Hoff himself sitting in a cubical in Amazon’s headquarters, looking over my numbers with a sneer, saying, “Sure, over five hundred sales by a nobody, but what has he sold in Germany!”

I may not have a talking car, but…

I did find myself above Tom Clancy’s latest book on Amazon’s War Fiction list. This was a pretty cool feeling. Especially since “The Hunt for Red October” was the only thing I knew about submarines when I was sitting in the DEP station (the enlistment center for the Navy) and they asked if I wanted to volunteer for submarine duty. The movie was cool, so I said, “Can I drive?” Little did I know, while underway I would be driving it six to twelve hours a day…everyday.

Needless to say…

I am very excited about how last month turned out, and how this month, just a few days in, is shaping up. I actually starting to get some real hope that one day, I will be writing for my full-time job. In fact, I’m already counting my chickens before they hatch. Which I am often guilty of, but what can I say, I am an eternal¬†optimist.

Thank you to everyone for your support, I will keep you up to date as events unfold!

~ T. Steven Sullivan

1. Jon Henderson says:

Sully,

I really enjoyed the book and had a hard time putting it down. Best of luck on future sales. I’ll keep recommending it to all the folks in the aloha state.

Cheers,
    Jon

• T.S.S. says:

Jon!

Good to hear from you brother! Glad to see you’re still in Hawaii, I’ll have to try and come visit you!

Sully

2. Neal Fitzpatrick says:

Steven
    I picked this book just by chance on my Kindle yesterday while sitting by the beach on Hilton Head Island…….I couldn’t stop reading it until I finished. It was perfect!!! Every emotion I have was explored and I would only ask that you get started on your next work if you haven’t already.
    When are going to write the screenplay??
    Reminds me of the early Clancy. I hope you stay in this vein and I will promote your work to anyone who reads for fun. Thanks for the effort and best wishes.
    NEF

• T.S.S. says:

Neal,

Thank you for the compliments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you enjoyed the book. It’s funny you should mention the screenplay. I originally wrote Hot Run as a screenplay, but when it began to rival the length of Das Boot, and I wasn’t nearing the end, I realized I needed to write the novel first. It would be a dream come to to see this up on the screen one day. I am working on the next one, following the continuing adventures of Quinn. I’ll keep you updated. Hope the rest of your vacation goes well!

~T. Steven Sullivan (Tim)

3. Jim Smith says:

Finished the book about a week ago and it didn’t take long….very exciting and very real. My Amazon Kindle was burning up. If this is your first novel, I sure can’t wait for the next two or three. Reminds me alot of C.J. Box, although his books are about a Game Warden in Wyoming, they took off immediately. Most folks pick up pretty fast when they recognize a good writer.
    Spent my time in the Navy as well, way back in the 40s, but we were out there in search of you guys, ie; Submarine Patrol from blimp. Really great duty,
    Keep up the fantastic work. Jim Smith usesm5302@aol.com Aurora, Colo.

• T.S.S. says:

Thank you for the encouraging words Jim. That means a lot to me. I am working on the next one now, so I hope to keep you entertained. I would definitely like to hear more about the anti-submarine warfare from a blimp. It sounds fascinating. Thank you for your service!

~ T. Steven Sullivan (Tim)

4. robert petry says:

I’ve been reading books like yours for over 30years and this was so seat of your pants reading I couldn’t put it down. I’ll be watching and reading your books in the future. Keep up the good work you were born to write. Bob

• T.S.S. says:

Thank you Bob, your note was a great way to start my Saturday morning. I’m glad you liked Hot Run. I am sitting down to work on Quinn’s continuing adventure now! Have a good day.

~T. Steven Sullivan

5. Barnaclebill says:

Hi
    I enjoyed your first book. My first Kindle book. Took me a while to get into it. Then it gets going. Keep up the good work. I am waiting for the next one.
    Bill

• T.S.S. says:

Thanks, Bill. I’m honored to hear the first book you gave a try on Kindle was mine. I’m excited to have another one in the works for you.

Thanks for the support!

~ T. Steven Sullivan

6. I would like to thank you for a great read. I was getting desperate for a good book since reading all of the books from my normal go-to’s had written (Clancy, Brown, Cussler, Bonds) and came across your book while researching similar authors. I am amazed this is your first book, very well written.
    I was in the Navy back in the Reagan years, apart of the big canoe club CV-64, Connie, so I don’t know a whole lot about subs, but i thoroughly enjoyed your story.
    i really liked the way you brought in technology that is right on the edge believability, it made me think about other ways it could be used, adds layers to the story.
    Can’t wait for next book.

• T.S.S. says:

Thanks Dan,

Always happy to hear when a Navy man likes “Hot Run.” I know the Connie well, at least how she looked through the periscope. My boat was part of the Constellation Battle Group on one of my deployments.

~ Tim (T. Steven Sullivan)